Friday 7 October 2016

Tiki Magic with Pinup Girl Clothing


We all know I love tiki. I think it comes from my love of the beach growing up. While I don’t get there anywhere near as much as I used to (thanks to adult life of work and running a small business) I still love sun, surf and water. I guess for me tiki is almost the pinup equivalent of celebrating things I love. Now I was unlucky enough to miss out on the amazing parrot tiki pants in PUG’s last tiki capsule and when I saw the awesome print of this releases trousers, like HELL I was missing out a second time. I parted ways with some things I hadn’t worn in forever and snapped myself up the HighWaisted Trousers in orange tiki print and the Harley top in Orange

Scarf ~ Baby Blue Nylon Scarf from Daisy Jean Floral Designs
Hoops ~ Hollywood Hoops from Retro Resins
Brooch ~ Large Dew Drops brooch from Dottie Delite
Top ~ Orange Harley top from Pinup Girl Clothing
Pants ~ High Waisted Trousers in Orange Tiki Print from Pinup Girl Clothing
Shoes ~ Wooden Tiki mules by Pinup Couture (bought on ebay)


I was beyond excited when my parcel arrived just 3 days after placing my order. The speed of Fedex boggles my mind sometimes (I’m using to dealing with Australia Post) and the colours in the print were even prettier in person. The orange was definitely a great match, though I was originally a bit hesitant about the orange Harley due to not being sure I could style it with more (seemy how I styled it post here!).  The first thing I noticed, was that despite going off the size chart and getting the Large,  I was going to have the same issue with the Harley top as I had all those moons ago when I tried on a Harley dress: my shoulders are too small. While it fit me well on my waist, it was slightly too big in the bust and the shoulder section actually sat above my shoulders slightly as oppose to sitting on them (I really pulled and pulled it down to get it to sit right for this shoot, but it made it bunch around my waist).

Thankfully, this isn’t too big of an issue, my super padded bra did help with the bust size but I doubt I’ll buy another Harley top outside of this one. Its sad, they are great tops but I’m finding more and more that as a small busted gal with a bigger bottom half, there are some styles that are difficult on my shape. This is one of them. As I have similar issues with peasant tops (my shoulders are very rounded which means peasant tops end up halfway down my arms, making them not appropriate for a job that requires covered shoulders) so I picked a lesser of two evils. At least I don't have to worry about straps or sleeves sliding down on this one!


So body size/fit issues aside, this top is beautifully made. The straps are thick and can take a bit of strain for the bigger busted gals. Its lined and features a back zip for easy and comfortable wear. Because of my bigger hips, I do find the zip bunches a little at the bottom but it’s nothing major. The colour is super vibrant in person and is definitely more versatile than I initially expected. I’d recommend sizing up if you are between sizes though, as there isn’t much stretch in the fabric. But pear girls with smaller busts, be mindful that the fit will be a bit tricky. On a quick side note, a neat little trick for hiding bra straps with this is to wear a halter bra and pop a small hoop on the inside of either bust so you can tuck your strap into this hoop, which pulls it out of sight!


I had a bit more success with the fit of the pants. I own a pair of the High Waisted Trousers already but I know they have a bit of stretch to them from wear the past few years, so I opted to size up to the XL to play it safe. I’m glad I did. While they fit really well everywhere, the waist is loose. I knew this would be the case when I bought them and once my weight settles a bit more (those who follow me on Instagram know I’m currently in the process of dropping the excess weight I gained over the last 18 months) I’ll get some darts put in the waist. Its an easy fix. 


One feature I do love about these trousers is the back zip and elastic in the waistband at the back. It makes them a comfortable fit with a seamless from.  These pants are going to be such a fun pair over summer. These aren’t too thick which means I should be able to wear them in summer without much of a fuss. I’m excited to try and style it with other tops that aren’t orange, as the print allows for such versatility!


These gorgeous tiki pants retail for $88USD which equates to around $115.54AUD, depending on the day and the exchange rate. The Harley top (which comes in a variety of colours) retails for $66USD which equates to around $81.40AUD, depending on the day and the exchange rate. Despite the slight fit issues I absolutely adore this outfit and I cannot wait to wear it more and style the other pieces different ways!


I hope you’ve enjoyed this review lovelies! As always, I’m more than happy to answer any questions you may have in the comments or on my other social media for this review!

Til next time darlings!



3 comments:

  1. Awesome outfit! I love that you pulled from the hits of blue in the pattern of the pants for your hair scarf colour choice. Fab styling!

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous outfit, everything works so well together! I'm a pear shape too and I find that many of PUG's tops and dresses are a bit roomy in the bust, but some of them fit just fine. I bought an Ella dress which was supposed to be too big in the bust according to the size chart, but it fit me perfectly without need for an extra push-up bra. The kitten Heidi dress in the same size was so big I'd need to have 2 sizes bigger bust AND a push-up bra to fill it... So confusing, especially since according to size chart it should have been ok. I don't even know how to take it in, because the extra fabric is in the bust and not at the sides...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this whole outfit, those pants look amazing on you, I love the print on these pants. I adore tiki/tropical prints as well, I suppose because I live in Queensland and in a hot climate. :)

    ReplyDelete