Saturday 1 October 2016

How to Style it Saturday! ~ Orange Harley Top from Pinup Girl Clothing

Hello darlings!

Welcome to the first post of one of my new blog series, that I’m hoping to bring to you one Saturday every month!

So….How to style it? Why have I started this series?

Well, as a beginner, I got very comfortable in ‘set outfits’. Without the experience styling different things, the versatility on items was often lost on me and I’d wear them again and again. As a ‘baby pinup’ (someone who had only been dabbling in retro styling in under 12 months) this was probably one of the HARDEST parts about getting into dressing retro every day: how to style things. I know this was a difficulty because I look back at past outfits and they have almost NO accessories. Namely because I was so overwhelmed with trying to just put an outfit together that I couldn’t add in accessories yet. Slowly hair flowers, brooches, necklaces, better shoes and now earrings have crept onto the scene, helping me achieve a better aesthetic with my look. So I wanted to share with you all ways of styling one item different ways and as my first piece I’ve purposely picked one I knew I’d struggle with the moment I put it in my cart!


The Pinup Girl Clothing Harley top in orange, is definitely outside my comfort zone. But I bought it to go with my new tiki trousers in Netti Print which is perfectly matched! Plus there was the bonus that the style would be good for summer, which is going to be approaching fast after the next few months here in Australia! But I was a little perplexed at buying something I knew would be such a challenge for me to style outside of one outfit.  So, last weekend I played dress up to figure out other ways to style this outside of a single pair of pants! Here’s what I found!

Tiki Heaven!

Scarf ~ baby blue scarf from Daisy Jean Floral Designs
Brooch ~ Big bulb brooch in orange from Dottie DeLites
Earrings ~ Hollywood Hoops from Retro Resins
Top ~ Harley top in orange from Pinup Girl Clothing
Pants ~ Trousers in tiki print from Pinup Girl Clothing
Shoes ~ Tiki Mauls originally from Pinup Girl Clothing

Outfit one:
Hair Flowers and Earrings ~ Daisy Jean Floral Designs
Top ~ Harley top in orange from Pinup GirlClothing
Skirt ~ Discontinued Tiki Kinky Box Pleat Skirt from PinupGirl Clothing
Shoes ~ Tiki Mauls originally from Pinup Girl Clothing
Outfit 2:
Scarf  ~ Vintage
Brooch ~ Erstwilder
Top ~ Harley top in orange from Pinup GirlClothing
Skirt ~ Discontinued Doris Tiki Skirt from Pinup Girl Clothing
Shoes ~ Lacey Heels from Royal Vintage Shoes
Outfit 3:
Earrings ~ Ebay
Brooch ~ Erstwilder
Top ~ Harley top in orange from Pinup Girl Clothing
Skirt ~ Candy Skirt in Black from by Hell Bunny
Shoes ~ Lacey Heels from Royal Vintage Shoes
So I quickly discovered while hunting through my wardrobe that this top is absolutely tiki heaven. Not only did it match my netti pants, which were the original outfit it was bought to team with, but it looks incredible with two other tiki skirts from Pinup Girl Clothing as well as my black candy skirt from hell bunny. 

With outfit one, this skirt sits mostly in my wardrobe as the purple and orange hues have always made it hard for me to team it with tops outside of black. But the orange is such a DREAM and I cannot wait to wear this outfit out! The fact these are both PUG also means the oranges are a perfect match as well. I threw in some contrasting colours with some hair flowers, I kept my earrings in a simple gold colour and brooch is one of my tiki styled brooches from Miss Lady A Broad. The colours in this go so well it almost looks like a dress to me! Such a bright outfit, it’s going to be a great one to wear when spring gets into full swing!

While the doris skirt in this amazing tropical print is no longer being made, they are releasing the Jun skirt in this same fabric. While I personally found the Jun length a little too short for my liking, if you love this look then definitely look at teaming these two together. The skirt fabric is truly versatile (I wear it quite a bit with an array of pieces) and it goes beautifully with this orange top. I accessorised this look with a green vintage hair scarf, simple petite heathers teardrop earrings in green glitter for tie in colours of green and my Lorrie brooch from Erstwilder is the perfect match for this look!

This final look was one I found by accident. I was holding my Candy skirt on the hanger while I was looking through my skirts and looked down. The orange accents through the flowers in this skirt go so beautifully with this top and its such a gorgeous spring/summer look! Soft accessories such as the cream and pink flowers and bamboo hoops tied in with beige shoes, compliment the outfit wonderfully. A pop of green with my little frog brooch helps break the bright orange of the top and ties in as well with the skirt. I loved this outfit more than I expected. Its so pretty!

Spooky/Halloween

Scarf ~ Daisy Jean Floral Designs
Hoops ~ Revere Folie
Brooch ~ Deer Arrow

Top ~ Harley top in orange from Pinup Girl Clothing
Skirt ~ Spiderweb Jenny Skirt from Pinup Girl Clothing
Shoes ~ Lacey heels from Royal Vintage Shoes
If spooky is more your thing, than this top is also for you! I teamed it with my PUG spiderweb top with stunning affect. I cannot wait to wear this outfit near the end of October! The spooky earrings and brooch also help give it that Halloween touch. If this skirt isn’t quite your thing, both PUG and Hell Bunny have some amazing Halloween skirts this year! It’s a fun way to pay a tribute to the spooky time of the year that you can wear any time!

Fun and playful!


Scarf ~ Daisy Jean Floral Designs
Hoops ~ Luxulite
Brooch ~ Erstwilder

Top ~ Harley top in orange from Pinup Girl Clothing
Skirt ~ Dinosaur Circle Skirt from Mary Anne's Boutique
Belt ~ Ebay
Shoes ~ Lacey heels from Royal Vintage Shoes
Another skirt I struggle to match with things is this fun dinosaur skirt I got my mum make for me via her boutique. The bright colours make it such a fun one to style and with some subtle orange hues in some of the dinos, it meant these two became well matched. This outfit is bright to the point its almost obnoxious but it makes me think of being a kid with the print and the bright orange. A stegosaurus brooch finishes the look and it’s definitely one that would be fun to wear for a casual Friday at work!

I hope you've all enjoyed this first post for this series! If you have any questions or there is anything else you'd like me to include in this series, please put it in the comments or drop me a comment on my instagram or facebook. 

Til next time darlings!


                

2 comments:

  1. Wow love this, that orange Pug top looks wonderful with all those skirts, looking forward to see what you style next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun, thanks for compiling this post!

    ReplyDelete