Wednesday 13 January 2016

“Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure” ~ Harry Potter Goodness and Saddle Shoes


Its only really been this year I realised I was a bit of a geek, though apparently it was no secret to everyone else in my life! I've always had a love for learning. Even now I try and learn something new every day. During my school years I chewed through books and documentaries. I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to but I still chew through documentaries when I can! They are my background noise of choice when I'm working on stock for Daisy Jean. I love learning, I love finding out new things and I guess for that reason I've always felt a bit of an affinity with Ravenclaw as a house (hence my not so subtle tribute with my hair scarf). When my mum gifted me two Harry Potter tops for Christmas, I saw these as the perfect match for my new Saddle shoes from Royal Vintage Shoes!

Scarf ~ Closet Confessions Boutique
Top ~ Target
Skirt ~ Black Doris Skirt from Pin Up Girl Clothing
Shoes ~ Saddle Shoes from Royal Vintage Shoes

So saddle shoes. I know what you're thinking...they aren't exactly something that I've had a lot of in my wardrobe before now....in actual fact these are my first pair! Styling wise I've always been incredibly intimidated by this style of shoe because I just couldn't figure out how to work them into my look. That and the fact I was a little worried they'd make my legs look short due to the colouring. But, with the purchase of my first pair of Freddies of Pinewood Jeans (which with the help of healthy eating are starting to fit again after a rather indulgent holiday) I took the plunge and got them along with my Halina shoes


So lets start with the nitty gritty: breaking in! The first wear I wore sockets, which on my part was a complete amateur move (managed to get proper socks before a blister outbreak!) but in my defence, these are my first pair! Once wearing them with proper socks, they were stiff for the first two wears and loosened considerably after that. They are now comfortable enough to wear for upto 8 hours with only some slight rub at the back but this is only on my smaller foot (will discuss more in the sizing section).


So why am I liking these shoes? In short, they're fun. They are flat. They are comfortable and they are a great alternative for days I don't want to wear heels or ballet flats. I'd honestly LOVE to try these with some bobby socks at some point as I think they would look adorable! I am still struggling a little with the styling aspect of these but I think as I play with them more I'll become more confident. Its fun sometimes to step outside your comfort zone and take risks on things you originally thought wouldn't work.


So...sizing! I got the 7.5 as thats my normal size (I have narrow feet with a medium to high arch and over half a size difference between my feet). Initially they were SUPER snug on my bigger foot. I actually had to really push (with all the glamorous accompanying faces) to get it on. But once it was on and worn once, it loosened but pretty quick. I do find that on my smaller foot they did stretch a bit which now has given me a little rub at the back on that foot with long wear (more than 6 hours) so I just need to pop an insert into the back to help stop that problem. When worn with socks in the length shown I have no issues. For someone looking for a flat retro shoe that is practical these are definitely a pair to consider. I also love wearing these with wide leg jeans and I intend to give them a whirl very soon with my swing pants as well!


Price wise, these also don't break the bank! They are $65US ($93AUD) with international postage available averaging a 2 week delivery turn around. Considering the only saddle shoes I see in Australia are 'costume' shoes and look REALLY tacky, the price is worth the quality!


I hope you've enjoyed this little blog post! As usual, thank you so much to Royal Vintage Shoes for selecting me as a brand ambassador! I'm loving working with this amazing store and its one I can highly recommend!

Til next time! Stay safe darlings!



Disclaimer: Whilst I received these shoes as part of a sponsorship with Royal Vintage Shoes, all opinions expressed are honest to help ensure the most accurate information for my readers. 

2 comments:

  1. SO. CUTE. I really love how you've used the saddle shoes with a modern graphic tee to make a very casual-pinup look!
    I always think that saddle shoes look really cute on other girls, but for whatever reason, I've been unwilling to take the plunge... I think I'm afraid they'll make my feet look giant! But they also look like they'd be great for going on outings where flats might not be quite enough shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frances! I know what you mean. As I said in my post, its still a bit of a challenge for me to style them but I'm glad I took the plunge. I feel as I practice more they'll be a great shoe!

      Delete